Monday, September 05, 2016

Serena Williams Broke World Record

World number one Serena Williams set a new Grand Slam
record of 308 victories with a win over Yaroslava Shvedova of
Kazakhstan at the US Open in New York.

The American, 34, won 6-2 6-3 to pass Roger Federer in the
all-time list of matches won at the tennis majors.
She moves on to the quarter-finals where she will face
Romanian fifth seed Simona Halep, who beat Spain's Carla
Suarez Navarro 6-2 7-5.
"It's a huge number," Williams said of her record
308th win.
"I think it's very significant actually. I think it's something
that just really talks about the length of my career, in
particular.
"I've been playing for a really long time but also given that
consistency up there, that's something that I'm really proud
of."
Halep has lost seven of eight matches against Williams but
hopes that will at least keep the pressure off in their quarter-
final.
"She's the best player in the world," said Halep. "I don't have
to be afraid or to have emotions because I have nothing to
lose. It's just a huge challenge for me."
Meanwhile her elder sister Venus Williams lost out 4-6 6-4 7-6
(7-3) to Czech 10th seed Karolina Pliskova to end her quarter final dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment