Friday, September 16, 2016

Secretary aged 99 celebrates 80th anniversary in the same job


A woman celebrating her 80th ANNIVERSARY in the same
job says that retirement isn't on the cards - as she still
loves her work.

Elisabeth Davis may be 99 years old, but she's not letting a
little thing like age get in the way of keeping active and
entertained as she heads to the offices of Culver Academies
every day.

In her role as secretary in Culver, Indiana - which includes
maintaining faculty records - and says that she's always
been happy at the job.
"I like what I do with records and working with everybody
who's been here. It's nothing really special, I guess," she
tells Today .

After she left Culver High School as a student in 1935,
Elisabeth took her first job as assistant to the dean in Culver
Academies and its 34 students - and she's been there ever
since, as the school's attendance has swollen to 814, save a
short break to raise her son and daughter.

"I never had a computer," she says. "I just figured that as
long as I'll be here, why should I learn all that technology?
I'm able to type, and that's all I need."

Bill Hargraves, director of strategic communications said
that her presences shows the students a "rich history",
adding: ""Some people don't even know what FDR stands
for today, and he was the president when she started!" in
reference to Franklin D Roosevelt.

For Elisabeth's part, she's not close to leaving the job yet,
despite her long service.

"I just live day by day. If there comes a time when I feel like
it, I will, but I don't feel like retiring."

In 1936 when Elisabeth started at Culver Academies the
Munich Olympics were held, and Jessie Owens made history
with four gold medals - much to the anger of Adolf Hitler.
In the UK, King Edward VIII abdicated to marry Wallis
Simpson.
     
      Source: mirror. Co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment